Today marks our favourite day of the year, National Tea Day. Yes that’s right, a whole day has been dedicated to this delightful beverage and rightly so.
To celebrate Britain’s favourite morning – and afternoon ritual we have found 10 interesting facts about the wonder that is tea.
- Tea breaks are a tradition that have been with us for approximately 200 years
- It takes around 2,000 tiny leaves to make just one pound of finished tea
- There is an estimated 1,500 different types of tea
- Over 3 million tons of tea is produced every year worldwide
- The United Kingdom drinks about 165 million cups of tea a day, or 62 billion cups per year
- Black tea is called “red tea” in China
- The art of foretelling the future by ‘reading the tea leaves’ is known as ‘tassology’
- 98% of people take milk with tea
- Until the 1800’s, solid blocks of tea were used as currency in Siberia
- Tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world, after water
Cosy takes tea very seriously and have spent many years developing a range to suit every tea loving taste. From the classic Fairtrade Organic Black Breakfast Tea made with a blend of Assam & Nilgiri teas, to the more unusual tastes of Organic Rooibos made from ‘Redbush’ tea from South Africa with a hint of Vanilla, Cosy really does have it all.
So whether you are enjoying yours with a cheeky slice of cake or simply on its own in your favourite mug, make sure you take some time out on National Tea Day to enjoy a lovely Cosy cuppa!